In partnership with journalists at African Media Initiative and sector experts at Open Oil, we will be running a Data Expedition on the Extractive Industries of Nigeria on:
December 7: Noon-18:00 CET / Lagos (10:00-16:00 EDT if you are based in the Americas)
Take a moment to find out everything you need to know about the Data Expedition.
Notice: Pre-registration is not required.
##Where does it take place?
Online around the world – connect to our Unhangout event (this requires a google account). We are thrilled that African Media Initiative and Open Oil will run an on-site event in Lagos while connecting with the global expedition.
12:00 CET Introduction and welcome to the Data Expedition
1:00 PM CET Introduction to Gephi – and how to map Nigerian companies?
2:00 PM CET Tools and tactics in mapping
5:30 PM CET Wrapping up and way forward
##Join a team
Whether you want to uncover the corporate networks in Nigeria, map the oil fields or dive into the government revenues from the oil, there will be something for you to do at the expedition. To learn more about each of the three teams and what you will be able to work on go directly to the team pads below.
- Team 1: Investigate the corporate networks in Nigeria’s oil industry
- Team 2: Map company operations and pipelines across oil fields in Nigeria
- Team 3: Analyse Nigeria’s oil revenues and public procurements
No data skills or oil sector expertise is required for you to join any of the teams.
We are using the Unhangout platform for communication during the Data Expedition (for chats and conversations).
###Where can I get help and ideas for data wrangling?
The most important thing is that you are enthusiastic to take part in this. You can use any of the following channels to get support during the data expedition:
- Ask a question on ask.schoolofdata.org
- Use the dedicated mailing list for this data expedition. Register here and send an email to email@example.com for any questions.
- If you have issues connecting to the Unhangout you can ping us on Twitter at @SchoolofData.